Can I print on the back of my photos? Does dotPhoto offer backprinting?
We recommend 4x6 or 4xD prints for documentation that requires back-printing. Popular uses are medical, real estate, legal, pro photographer samples and other documentation applications. Alternatively, dotphoto's Backup Books enable you to autofill captioned pages with up to 720 photos.
dotPhoto back-prints on 4x6, 4xD, and 5x7 prints.
(4xD = digital size of 4" x 5.33")
The back-print text is based on your selection in the MyAccount settings for the photo owner's account.
The default selection is the photo file name or caption on the left and the photo taken date (or upload date) on the right.
The entire length of the back-printing selection is 40 characters including spaces.
To setup back printing:
- Login to your dotPhoto account.
- Click on MyAccount at the top of the page.
- Under Account Settings, choose Printing Options.
- Choose your back-printing option.
- Tap the green Save Settings button.
Recommended Best Practice for Back-Printing
- In the MyAccount section, choose Photo title for your back-printing. This will give you the full 40 characters including spaces to describe your print.
- Use dotphoto's Edit Title tool under the Organize menu to create new titles for your photos.
- To make it easy to sort your photos, add the year and month at the beginning of the title. For instance: 2023-08 for August of 2023
- To make it easy to identify in the future, add the name of the event and the main person involved. For instance, GA Little League Finals Timmy Johnson
- The entire back-printed label would be 2022-08 GA Little League Tim Johnson (35 characters including spaces)
- If you have a series of photos, consider establishing an abbreviation of the vent on the first print, and use the abbreviation on subsequent photos. For instance, 2022-08 GA Little League = GLL1 Subsequent photos would be 2022-08 GLL2 Tim Johnson & Scott Frost
IMPORTANT: Printing Title, Date & Time
- The entire back-printed description is limited to 40 characters including spaces.
- If your title is longer than 25 characters, it will push your date and time beyond the 40 character limit, so you will not see it.
- Keep your titles shorter than 25 characters including spaces if you want to include date and time.
ALSO IMPORTANT when placing your order.
- Your order is sent to production immediately or within 15 minutes. The title that is transmitted to the printer is the title of the photo at the time the order is transmitted. DO NOT CHANGE YOUR TITLES IMMEDIATELY AFTER PLACING YOUR ORDER because this will probably change the titles on the order your have just placed.
- The same image can only be placed in the cart one time. If an image is saved in multiple albums with multiple titles, the same title will print for all images. This is because dotphoto recognizes identical images and tracks only one copy for upload, printing and every other action. If you want to treat identical images differently, you can make a copy by changing even 1 pixel. How to make an identical copy that dotphoto treats as a different photo
- The caption in the dotphoto cart has nothing to do with the title. The title that will print is the Title you have saved in the Organize / Edit Titles command
Tap here for info on how to edit your titles that will appear on back-printing.